Amazon Web Services Applied Scientist, AWS AI in Seattle, Washington
Amazon AI is looking for world class scientists to join its AI Lab. This group is entrusted with developing core machine learning algorithms for AWS. As a part of the AI Lab you will invent, implement, and deploy state of the art machine learning algorithms and systems. You will build prototypes and explore novel solutions to new problems at scale. You will interact closely with our customers and with the academic community. You will be at the heart of a growing and exciting focus area for AWS and work with other acclaimed engineers and world famous scientists.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
The main focus of a scientist on the team is to use and develop cutting edge science to build new features that will delight our customers. Scientists own their features from research to implementation and production.
A day in the life
Scientists works closely with our partners in engineering and product as well as directly with customers. They write production quality code to implement new features. Scientists produce customer-obsessed research to drive the development of new features which we publish in top-tier conferences.
About the team
We are the science team behind the Amazon Lookout for Metrics anomaly detection service.
· PhD or MS degree in machine learning, statistics, econometrics, mathematics, computer science, or related fields.
· 2+ years of experience in the field with a proven track record.
· Experience with time-series analysis, anomaly detection, or statistical machine learning.
· Experience with fast prototyping
· Experience with data mining or machine learning applications
· Experience working effectively with software engineering teams
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
As a Scientist in the AI Lab are expected be an expert in an area relevant for large scale machine learning and its applications. Our particular focuses include temporal models particularly for forecasting, recommendation systems and reinforcement learning. Experience with deploying ML in practice is a plus. Your position will require you to: - Be an active member of a software development team.
· Improve and accelerate our technology with science, statistical modeling, algorithm design, and prototyping.
· Maintain an understanding of industry and technology trends in said area of research.
· Contribute to Amazon's Intellectual Property through patents and/or external publications.
· Understand business context to decisions made within and across groups.
· Effectively communicate with senior management, colleagues, the open source community, and academia.
· Recognize and help hire top talent in your field.
· Mentor others in achieving their career growth potential.
· Drive an independent research agenda that is well-aligned with business needs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.